The extra virgin olive oil, also called green gold, contains infinite organoleptic properties that can be revealed through a perfect gustatory analysis. A universe of sensations emerge through the use of suitable olive oil tasting glasses, in order to highlight strengths or weaknesses. The extra virgin olive oil tasting glasses are made in order to conduct a perfect sensory analysis with the identification of a very precise organoleptic profile. The taster will be able to bring out as many olfactory and gustatory scents to draw up a judgment. Our olive oil tasting glasses are made according to international standards through the use of innovative materials that facilitate the visual, olfactory and gustatory examination.
Olive Oil: Mediterranean green gold
The olive oil is considered the green gold of the Mediterranean as the olive tree finds the ideal habitat for its perfect development. The microclimate kissed by the sea breeze and the mild winters allow the olives to ripen according to a well-defined vegetative cycle. The harvest takes place around the month of October. From the first pressing, a green liquid is obtained, extra virgin olive oil, rich in organoleptic and nutritional properties that make it perfect for Mediterranean cuisine.
The gustatory analysis of the well-made olive oil, in fact, reveals an acidity of less than 0.5% with the perception of its lipid and fat content. The latter include monounsaturated fatty acids, simple triglycerides along with polyphenols and vitamins. Finally, its antioxidant properties are very valuable. A careful gustatory analysis gives you the pleasure of searching for all the facets of a product considered essential for a healthy diet. Even the ancient peoples knew this well. The Greeks, in fact, began to cultivate it by importing it from Asia Minor and soon realized its extraordinary properties.
Taste analysis of extra virgin olive oil: 15 ml of pure goodness
The taste analysis of olive oil is the next step to the olfactory analysis through which it is possible to enjoy all the characteristic fruitiness of green gold. The examination of the gustatory aspect gives great emotions to the taste buds through the release of unique flavors that differ from product to product. Precisely for this reason it is necessary to have olive oil tasting glasses with very specific characteristics capable of enhancing all its goodness.
The gustatory examination of olive oil unfolds through a few but well-defined steps:
- The 15 ml sample that was previously examined through the olfactory phase is tasted by letting the liquid tickle the taste buds well
- The oral cavity heats the extra virgin olive oil sample even more to the point of releasing tactile and aromatic sensations
- Breathing is important: inhaling air is inhaled which becomes the main vehicle for the transport of the released substances
- It is important not to swallow the olive oil. It must remain in the oral cavity to evaluate its fluidity and consistency
- The experience of the taster is crucial as the brain will remember and associate the scents that are part of the baggage built up over time
Finally, important evaluation parameters are the harmony and balance of the olive oil present in the oil tasting glass. The sensations and aromas perceived on the nose must return punctually to the palate making it perfectly harmonious or responding to the expectations created during the olfactory analysis.
Olive Oil tasting parameters
The gustatory analysis of the olive oil, therefore, is the final step to define the organoleptic profile of the product under consideration. In order to give a complete judgment it is important to take into account some parameters which cannot be ignored:
- Fruity. This parameter allows you to establish the intensity of the aromas. The olive oil can be characterized by light, medium or intense scents depending on the cultivar, the microclimate and the soil on which the plants are grown. Starting from southern Italy and proceeding northwards, we witness the production of olive oil that has an intense to light fruity.
- Bitter. The bitter sensations are often present as an aftertaste especially in the new vintage oil. They must not predominate over spicy, on the contrary they must help to balance it.
- Spicy. He must reveal his presence in a discreet and never intrusive way. During the tasting of the olive oil it must not predominate to the point of burning the throat.
- Body, Consistency, fluidity and fullness are the characteristics of the perfect oil. Together they give that body that makes the oil silky and never angular when swallowed.
Tools for olive oil tasting
The olive oil tasting glasses supplied by us comply with the directives COI, the International Oleic Council that is the only body that deals with olive oil and table olives. The olive oil tasting glasses are cobalt blue, also equipped with a watch glass lid so as not to let the sample cool, also protecting it from dust. Our oil tasting glasses are in blown glass and are made for olive oil tasting at trade fairs and sector events such as Sol & Agrifood and Enoliexpo.